Saturday, February 13, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey--#2


February 11, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like?

Matthew 2:2-3 ~ In the time of King Herod, after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, wise men[a] from the East came to Jerusalem, asking, “Where is the child who has been born king of the Jews? For we observed his star at its rising, and have come to pay him homage.” When King Herod heard this, he was frightened, and all Jerusalem with him…

Herod was frightened. I wonder why. Was he afraid of potential competition for his throne? After all, he enjoyed wealth and power, and a life insulated from accountability. Few would willingly give up such a position of power.  

While known as the greatest of Israel’s builders during the early Roman era, his graft and corruption were legend. Was he frightened of having his corruption exposed? Who knows; but, I find it interesting that the presence of Jesus, even as an infant, struck fear into the heart of established, but corrupt, power.

Am I a source of anxiety for those who misuse power?

Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)

And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment