Thursday, February 18, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey -- Day 9


February 18, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

The Sermon on the Mount continues: Matthew 5:17-20.

The Scribes and Pharisees were uber conservative, known for their self-righteous legalism. They believed it was possible to live a perfect life, and were pretty sure they were doing so. The trick, they believed, was to obey all the rules. There was a teaching that said if all of Israel would keep the law for one day, Messiah would come. But the distinction had become very vague between the laws of God and the rules of the Pharisees. And they weren’t the same thing!

From early on it seemed to them that Jesus played fast and loose with the law. Social conventions (including religion) tend to become ends in themselves, at which time they generally become counterproductive. Such was the case with the Scribes and Pharisees in their obsession with perfection.

The Pharisees obsessed over observing the letter of their rules and then boasting of their righteousness. Jesus said they missed the point. The tail was wagging the dog. He said, “Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the Scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven” (vs. 20).

Jesus didn’t discount the law; indeed, he said the dotting of every “I” and the crossing of every “t” would be kept with integrity “until all is accomplished” (vs. 18). Until what is accomplished? What was God up to? Obviously the Scribes and Pharisees didn’t know—in spite of their attempts to make it all happen through their own efforts.

I’ve read the last chapter; so I think I know. But, could it be that my efforts to figure it all out fall as short as theirs? Perhaps I should simply celebrate the mystery and follow Jesus, trusting that where he leads is where God’s purpose is accomplished.

“Whoever has seen me has seen the Father” (John 14:9 NRSV)

And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment