Sunday, March 6, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey--Day 26


March 6, 2016 ~ Day 26

My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? ‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

Matthew 8:23-27 ~ Jesus stills the storm. There’s an Arab saying, “The dogs bark; but the caravan moves on.” I’ll get back to that in a bit.

I’m the kid who took his father’s alarm clock apart, just to see how it worked. I was going to put it back together; but, like Vince Lombardi said, “I never lose; I just run out of time.”

I’m the kid who asked, “Why?” one time too many in Sunday School class, and got slapped by the teacher! Right across the chops. And then she told my dad I’d been disrespectful in class, and when we got home he went straight to the seat of the problem.

I stopped asking questions, at least aloud; but, I never stopped wondering, “Why?” or “How?” or “Really?” Take this text, for instance. Did Jesus really still the storm?

I read a lot of stuff about the human brain remaining 90% untapped—even by the likes of Albert Einstein. And I wonder, is it possible? I read eye witness accounts from people I trust: accounts of things happening that can’t be explained by physics or higher math. And I wonder.

My curiosity is one of the ways I try to maintain control of life and my surroundings. I’ve always been analytical; and that’s been a strength. But then I get so absorbed in my curiosity that the caravan leaves without me.

Sometimes I see parents disciplining their children in ways that seem harsh; and they frequently become defensive, and use the worn out, “Well, he’s got to learn!"

OK. I agree: he’s got to learn. But he’s six years old. You’ve probably got about 18 years in which to teach him. Does he have to learn it all today?

Jesus, I want to follow you. Can we come back to this one later?

Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)

‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment