Friday, March 11, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey--Day 29


March 9, 2016 ~ Day 29


My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? ‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).


Matthew 9:9-13 ~ Jesus calls Matthew—a tax collector, a Publican, a Jew who worked for the hated Romans, collecting taxes. The Roman government levied an amount; but the Publicans could charge whatever they wished, and could keep everything over the levy. Needless to say, the Publicans were hated. But they also were rich.


With whom would you compare Publicans in our 21st century North American culture? The list is potentially long! Not all corporate entities are unscrupulous; however, some of the greatest harm comes at the hands of those corporate leaders whose ethics are scandalous. People are financially ruined for life by their crooked schemes. Families are homeless because of crooked home loan practices. Students are strapped for life-long debt because of the high cost of education. Cancer patients can’t afford medication, and political parties legislate in favor of those who benefit at the expense of the powerless.


That’s who Jesus called. And not just once. Remember Zacchaeus?


But something happens when people follow Jesus. They change. Grace is like that. Grace isn’t what comes after we repent and become good people. Grace is the power that enables that change!


I say I want to follow Jesus. To whom am I extending grace? Am I offering grace only to those I consider worthy? Hopefully, I will follow in the steps of the one who closed this passage with these words: “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice’ (Hosea 6:6) For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

 
Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)
‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).



That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.

 
Together in the Walk,
Jim






No comments:

Post a Comment