Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Thanks FROM a Veteran

Today I’d like to turn the tables and, as a Veteran, say, “Thanks” to a grateful nation.

When I returned from Vietnam in early August of 1968, there wasn’t much gratitude in the air. At least it wasn't evident.

Ten days after I was released from active duty at Camp Pendleton, I attended my first class at The Graduate Seminary of Phillips University in Enid, Oklahoma. Two weeks later I was preaching my first sermon in the small congregation in Waynoka, Oklahoma, where I served during the three years I worked on my Master of Divinity. So, the first few days after leaving a combat zone were more or less a whirlwind of activity.

It was a troubled time in our nation. Beatniks were morphing into Hippies, there were anti-war demonstrations, and the issue of amnesty was being debated in regard to some who had fled to Canada to avoid the draft. The Democratic National Convention that year was in Chicago, and it turned ugly, with demonstrations growing violent. Those events, along with video from the “war” in Vietnam, were on TV newscasts every night.

[NOTE: In my opinion (you decide whether the opinion is “humble” or and arrogant), although the trend toward media partisanism was beginning to emerge in the late 1960’s, for the most part the networks still struggled to maintain journalistic integrity. Media integrity seems rare today, with virtually no effort to conceal its partisanism; indeed, commentary and analysis have supplanted “reporting,” and at the polar extremes, pundits from Fox News and MSNBC seem almost to revel in their rabble rousing.]
Campus life at Phillips included student demonstrations (always peaceful and respectful) related to those same issues; so, I was aware of anti-war sentiments, but I did not experience animosity being directed at me, personally, or the troops in general. At that point I was virtually ignorant in regard to the political and moral questions surrounding the war.

Within a couple of years, though, the Kent State Massacre had jolted the nation and the Watergate scandal was stirring the pot. With all of it pouring into our living rooms via network media, Americans were becoming an angry, polarized people. Some of that anger and hostility was directed at troops returning from Vietnam.

I was distracted with studies and pastoral duties and building a family, so I was blissfully oblivious to the hostility that increasingly was directed at those returning troops. We didn't get ticker tape parades when we returned from Vietnam; but, for me personally, I was altogether content to slip in quietly and resume my life and pursue my goals. I was relatively insulated from the hostilities, and in the conservative backlash that followed those tumultuous 60’s, American sentiment changed.

While few would call me “conservative,” I am grateful for that change.

I am grateful when people discover that I served in the military and extend a hand and a word: “Thanks for your service.” Today, because I am a veteran, I got a discount at AQ Chicken House in Fayetteville, Arkansas. And I try to express my own gratitude when I see a person in uniform—whether it be military, police, fire fighter, EMT, or whatever.

Democracy thrives on vigorous debate, and I would not want to quiet the disparate voices—as long as the debate is respectful and seeks resolution rather than party dominance. But, as a veteran, I’m grateful for the atmosphere of non-partisanism that unites our people in gratitude for those who serve and protect. Thank you, America!

And that’s how I see it through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment