Saturday, February 7, 2015

Pride? or Insecurity?

My Pastor’s Column in church newsletters was called “Jim’s Gems”. Sometimes it was more like “cut glass”. Today’s blog is a case in point. My mind is wandering; so I’ll see where it leads.

By the way, I need to give credit every now and then to the best Youth Minister I’ve ever known. Patty Methvin always signed her church newsletter column, “Together in the Walk.” In my opinion, it’s the best Christian sign-off around, so I've adopted it in most of my writing. Thanks, Patty!

Also, every now and then I need to reaffirm the philosophical position from which I think and write and work. Some will respond immediately, “You're Liberal!” Yes, I’m unapologetically liberal; but liberal is not where I start. It’s the end product of my thought process.

On the other hand, one of the classic definitions of “liberal” is “open.” I guess that’s a starting place.

If you've read almost anything I've written you’ll know I’m a “both/and” kind of guy rather than “either/or”. I believe no human is ever—EVER—totally right, or totally wrong, about anything. There's something good, and something bad, in everybody. And in almost any aspect of life, between me and any other human, there are infinitely more similarities than differences. And understanding trumps agreement.

If we remain open and honest in our encounters, I truly believe we can find enough common ground between even the most divergent positions to begin building an effective outcome, not matter what the issue may be. In my estimation, that’s what it means to be liberal (as opposed to popular understandings based on where one stands on specific issues, like abortion, LGBT rights, firearms, etc.)

I also strive, though not always effectively, for humility (yeah, I know: looks aren't everything.) Most of the time the humility thing is pretty easy, because I can almost always find somebody who’s better than I at whatever I’m doing. Still, pride is a demon I must resist daily. Where I have the most difficulty with humility is in the area of mental, intellectual process.

Oh, it’s not that I think I’m a superior intellect. Indeed, it’s easy to find many people whose thinking is far superior to mine and more clearly articulated. But I battle with the same human weakness I observe in most others: when I reach a conclusion I generally feel “I’m right.” And if I’m right, then anyone who disagrees with me must be wrong.  Of course, Logic 101 says logic is valid only if its premises are valid. “I’m right” is seldom a valid premise, because we humans are incomplete, and are incapable of perceiving truth absolutely [even though I believe absolute truth exists].

So, is the “I’m right” syndrome a symptom of pride, or of insecurity?

So I intentionally pull most of my conclusions through the sieve of “what if I’m wrong?” I make an honest effort to research a variety of resources on any topic I’m considering, and more often than my pride wants to admit, I end up altering or even reversing my opinions. I know far too many people who read and study only those resources they are confident will reinforce and strengthen what they already believe, which must assume they already have arrived at the correct belief. 

For me, faith is a lot more about being than about believing. The epistle of James says, “even the demons believe, and tremble” (2:19). Belief alone puts me at the same level as the demons.

Faith is the act of living as if I truly believe what I say I believe. It is a never-ending process of growing. Growing, by definition, is changing; therefore, the crucial question is, “Toward what am I growing?” My aim is the goal Paul laid out in Ephesians 4:13, namely, to grow “…until all of us come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to maturity, to the measure of the full stature of Christ.(NRSV)

My faith goal is not to solidify what I believe about Christ, although, I will always continue to study and learn everything I can learn about Christ. But that has to do with “belief,” not “faith.” My faith goal is to become more like Christ.  It’s easy to say.

I am inspired in my journey by my nephew’s one-year project to experience and understand what it means to follow Jesus[1]. I don’t yet fully comprehend his process or his goals; but, I’m totally in agreement with his desire to follow Jesus.

I trust whatever I accomplish in my faith journey will never be a foundation for pride, or for declaring the correctness of my beliefs. My faith is in a person, and whether my doctrine is correct will not change that person or influence the relationship into which he calls me. I will be wrong often. But that is the risk of faith. It also is the test of faith. “What if I’m wrong?” It’s tempting to cling to the need to insure my relationship with God by being “right,” rather than by trusting the “right” person.

Pride is still a daily demon for me. Every sermon I write is subjected to two questions: (1) “So what?” and, (2) “Why do these people need to hear this sermon this Sunday?” Not every sermon passes the test; but 11:00 o’clock Sunday morning rolls around about the same time every week, ready or not!

It’s difficult to be proud when a sermon I've worked on for six weeks falls off the end of my tongue, “plops” on the floor immediately in front of the chancel and slithers away to hide under the front pew.

Wow! My mind was on a wandering path today; but that’s how I see it through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment