Saturday, February 13, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey--#3


February 12, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

Matthew 2:10-11 NRSV ~ When they saw that the star had stopped, they were overwhelmed with joy. 1 On entering the house, they saw the child with Mary his mother; and they knelt down and paid him homage.

It is difficult to overstate the importance of this encounter between the infant Jesus and these foreign dignitaries and scholars (aka the Magi and the Wise Men). It marks a crucial shift in the understanding of the God who is fully reflected in the life of Jesus. Prior to this encounter God had been perceived, even among mainstream Jews, as “their” God: and exclusive and tribal deity who dispenses retributive justice. This encounter is the gateway to a new, more accurate understanding in which God’s Epiphany (disclosure) is open to all creation.

"Jesus did not come to change the mind of God about humanity; Jesus came to change the mind of humanity about God." ~ Richard Rohr

Does my witness portray a God who favors one ethnic, cultural or political people or ideology (namely, mine)? Or do I follow Jesus and present a witness for all (and “all” means “all”)?

Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)

And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment