Thursday, February 25, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey--Day 14



February 23, 2016 ~ Day 14

My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

On day 13 I noted how Jesus connected piety with almsgiving. It was the first time I had noted that connection, and the new insight broadened and deepened my understanding of piety. If my spirit is in synch with the spirit of God (which is the purpose of piety), then one way my piety will find expression is in almsgiving.

Today’s text Is much easier to link with piety. Matthew 6:5-15 contains a teaching about prayer, and the primary message is almost identical to the teaching about almsgiving: don’t do it for show. Do your almsgiving “in secret;” do your praying in your room with the door shut.

In his disapproval of ostentatious prayer, Jesus seems to refer specifically to public prayer. On the other hand, I can’t help jumping to Luke’s Gospel and remembering Jesus’ parable of the Pharisee and the Publican, both of whom prayed in public. But, the one who was “justified” was the one whose posture and demeanor was bowed and humble.

We associate prayer with kneeling and bowing our heads, which are physical postures of humility. Prayer from virtually any perspective is an expression of humility in which we subordinate ourselves before God, expressing praise, thanksgiving or petitions. Prayer and begging are not altogether different.

Think of times when you’ve observed people praying in public venues other than organized worship (e.g., in a public restaurant). What did their posture seem to communicate?

Have you ever prayed in public venues other than organized worship? What do you think your posture communicated to those who observed you?

It gives me pause. Can praying in public be counterproductive to our Christian witness? While we have to take into account the attitude of the observer, which we can’t control, this text, along with Luke’s parable, suggests it depends upon our posture, which always is in our control.

Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)
And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,
Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment