Tuesday, February 16, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey -- Day 7


February 16, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? ‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

In yesterday’s phase of this Lenten Journey Jesus called his disciples with the words, “Follow me, and I will make you fish for people.” Cool metaphor; but what does it mean? The disciples used nets; but when I catch fish I set a hook in the fish’s jaw and yank and crank while the fish thrashes and splashes in an attempt to get away. In fishing for people, shall I use baited hooks, like a carnival hawker or a used car commercial on TV? I’m not sure that metaphor works for us today. I hope not.

But follow the text (what a concept!). Immediately following the call of the disciples there is a general summary of the beginnings of Jesus’ ministry. It includes going among the people, teaching, preaching “the good news of the kingdom” and healing the sick. Is that what he meant by “fishing for people?”

Then Chapter 5 of Matthew begins with what we call the Sermon on the Mount. It begins with what we call The Beatitudes. I’ll not use space to reproduce it here; but read it. In those eleven verses Jesus describes nine qualities of human behavior that are blessed. These eleven verses are among the most beloved verses of Holy Scripture. They establish a standard of value by which we can all compare our own lives. Am I “poor in spirit?” I know I have mourned. Am I “meek”; do I “hunger and thirst for righteousness” in my life?

I’m drawn to these values. I’m not “hooked,” but I am enfolded in a net of grace as these words draw me closer to who I want to be.

Can I cast that same net?

“Lord, I want to be like Jesus

Ina my heart, ina my heart…”

 “Whoever has seen me has seen the Father” (John 14:9 NRSV)

“And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment