Monday, February 22, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey--Day 13



February 22, 2016 ~ Day 13
My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? ‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).
* * *
Matthew 6:1-4 ~ Concerning Almsgiving
Does it seem strange to you that Jesus begins a teaching about almsgiving with a reference to the practice of piety? Have you ever considered piety and almsgiving to be related?
A strong faction sees almsgiving (charity) tied, not to the piety of the giver, but to the worth of the recipient; and, apparently that faction judges very few to be worthy recipients. It’s not a new perspective.
As I note in prior blogs, Old Testament scholar Walter Brueggemann submits that the Hebrew Scriptures are presented in a testimony/counter-testimony format, much like a courtroom scenario with multiple competing voices—each claiming to have the authoritative, correct view.  
The testimony is the ancient wisdom that good is rewarded and evil is punished. The application (e.g., Job’s friends) is used to explain why bad things happen to people: the presence of poverty or suffering is proof of sin. The victim is to blame.
The counter-testimony (represented by Job and by later prophets) advocates for the victim and argues that the traditional wisdom is unjust. The debate in Job hinges on God’s response to Job’s friends: “I am angry with you and your two friends, because you have not spoken the truth about me, as my servant Job has” (Job 42:7).
Here, the voice of the victim is heard for the first time in a world context “in which it was exceptional for the voice of the victim to be heard at all. These were the ones who formerly were scapegoated, condemned and dehumanized, but who Jesus saw and loved. This is the cry of the least of these.”[1]
Of course, some will take advantage of any display of generosity. They are not true victims. But, convincing data says they represent a tiny portion of those who seek charity, and, since I nave neither the ability nor the right to judge who is a true victim, I will give alms, anyway.
Yes, government should not be the primary agent of charity; but no other source is doing it adequately. So, until churches and civic clubs and trusts and foundations and individual philanthropists can match the need, I will advocate for public assistance for the victim.
Jesus took sides in the debate. He opted to advocate for the victim. If I am to follow him and become more like him, I will do the same, without concern for the worthiness of the recipient.
Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)
‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).
That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.
Together in the Walk,
Jim


[1] Derek Flood, Disarming Scriptures: Cherry-Picking Liberals, Violence-Loving Conservatives and Why We All Need to Learn to Read the Bible Like Jesus Did (San Francisco: Metanoia Books, Kindle edition), Location 592.







[1] Derek Flood, Disarming Scriptures: Cherry-Picking Liberals, Violence-Loving Conservatives and Why We All Need to Learn to Read the Bible Like Jesus Did (San Francisco: Metanoia Books, Kindle edition), Location 592.

No comments:

Post a Comment