Monday, February 29, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey--Day 20


February 29, 2016 ~ Day 20

My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

Matthew 7:7-11 ~ “Ask, Seek, Knock”. Another passage that’s often misapplied. While virtually every resource relates the saying to prayer, its misapplication makes prayer little more than a magical incantation: a way of manipulating God or manipulating reality or some other means of “getting what we want (or need).”

On the other hand, I’m remembering James 4:2, “…you covet something and cannot obtain it; so you engage in disputes and conflicts. You do not have, because you do not ask.” And I think of a child growing through those “terrible twos”—“I do it myself.” The child is testing his independence (as well as her parents’ patience!)

I know I can be pretty stubborn, sometimes, and hate to give in and ask for help (or directions).

I acknowledge that God gives each of us pretty much all we need to negotiate life; nevertheless, I can be pretty oblivious sometimes. Sometimes I need to seek focus, or ask for awareness or to knock for insight into how to apply the gifts and strengths God already has given me.

But sometimes, I experience the limit of my abilities. In those times, I am seeking, asking and knocking for what I need to navigate the unknown. Whether in the acknowledgement of abilities or in the emptiness of inability, ultimately, I must acknowledge my dependence upon God.

Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)

And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment