Sunday, February 14, 2016

My Lenten Journey 2016 #5


February 14, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? ‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

Matthew 4:10 NRSV ~ Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! for it is written, ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve only him.’”

I grew up with an image of Satan as “the booger man:” a horrid, evil, hurting creature. As a child I had frequent nightmares about “the old booger man.” But here in this text he doesn’t appear horrible; no horns or forked tail or pitchfork. No creature like that could ever tempt anybody. As in the Adam and Eve story in Genesis, even though he comes as a serpent, Satan nevertheless is “beguiling.”

And note in this text he comes with a Bible under his arm! Satan quoting Scripture (Psalm 91:11)? [That really shouldn’t be surprising. People have manipulated the Scriptures since before the ink was dry!

It’s easy to take away the message here, as it relates to my Lenten Journey. Jesus resisted temptations. Not just any temptations. Every temptation related to some political manifestation of Jesus’ calling: (1) to do whatever it takes to be popular—populist, beloved leader; (2) to be a dramatic headliner, making a big splash and eliciting awe and admiration; (3) to hold power over vast expanses of real estate—an expansionist. We could probably relate the names of several current politicians to each of the temptations.

Jesus could have used any, all or any combination of the temptations for good. But his response was clear: “Be gone, Satan!” His sense of God’s presence and calling took precedence.

Am I focused enough on my sense of God’s presence and calling that I am not distracted? Have I even identified God’s claim and calling upon me?

“Whoever has seen me has seen the Father” (John 14:9 NRSV)

“And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.
Together in the Walk,
Jim






No comments:

Post a Comment