Monday, February 15, 2016

My Lenten Journey 2016 #6


 February 15, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like. ‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

Matthew 4: 18-19 (NRSV) As he walked by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea—for they were fishermen. 19 And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fish for people.” 20 Immediately they left their nets and followed him.

One of the great mysteries about Jesus, at least for me, is that the families of the disciples are rarely mentioned. Jesus called them to leave their jobs and follow him. OK for the disciples. They can scrounge and do day labor to earn the necessities; but, what about the families they left behind?

I sang with a gospel quartet for twelve years. We sang several concerts most weekends, and spent a week of our vacation touring each year. We released two albums, and promoted two singles nation-wide. Our singles made some significant charts and enjoyed valuable air time in several radio markets in the southeastern states, but we were not able to spend the time traveling and promoting them; so their impact was short-lived.

One of our group was single, and another was retired. Both of them favored either quitting our jobs or taking an extended leave of absence (without pay) to take the quartet on the road. But, two of us had families with kids still at home, and no source of income other than our jobs.  So we stayed put.

When I’ve focused on God’s call upon God’s people, I’ve virtually always said, “Whom God calls, God equips.” Was that the principle at work when Jesus’ disciples left their jobs and went on the road with him? Would that have been the principle at work had we left our jobs and taken our quartet on the road? How do I discern the difference between God’s call and my ego?

What does it mean to follow Jesus? Do I have the faith to do that?

“Whoever has seen me has seen the Father” (John 14:9 NRSV)
“And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.
Together in the Walk,
Jim







No comments:

Post a Comment