Thursday, March 17, 2016


March 15, 2016 ~ Day 35

My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? ‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

Matthew 10:16-42 ~ The Commissioning of the Twelve Continues

There’s a lot of content here: realistic warnings about what kind of reception the disciples can expect; encouragement in anticipation of persecution and instructions on how to respond (“flee to the next town.”)

There are some unclear comments about rewards for hospitality: welcoming the prophet; welcoming a righteous person, giving a cup of cold water. There’s no explanation of those rewards; but the suggestion is that the reward is consistent with the hospitality.

My eye is drawn, however, to a troubling section; what appears to contain a poem or a hymn: 34“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

35 “For I have come to set a man against his father,
    and a daughter against her mother,
    and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
36 and one’s foes will be members of one’s own household

At first glance it seems to say the purpose of Jesus’ presence is to create havoc and division in human relationships. I am at a loss to understand that consistent translation from one English version to another.

When I read the text in its original language, the prepositions can validly be understood to reflect “result” as much as “intention”, e.g. “The result of my coming will be a sword…” Such an interpretation is more consistent with the overall teaching and ministry of Jesus.

Jesus did come to confront the misdirected orthodoxy of his own faith. And in this election year we all know that the natural consequence of ideological confrontation is to divide of people against one another. Jesus’ witness is clear, and those who follow him will be opposed—even from within their own families.

Ideologies, whether religious or political, become divisive when they become ends in themselves. I have been critical of those who prioritize ideology over people; and yet, If I am to follow Jesus I will advocate and live a consistent ideology. As a result, I can expect opposition from many directions, including those closest to me. But, of course, Jesus’ ideology is all about people: loving them (even one’s enemies), serving them (the cup of cold water), inviting them into the kingdom and giving oneself up on their behalf.

Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)
‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,
Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment