Wednesday, March 2, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey--Day 22


March 2, 2016 ~ Day 22

My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

Matthew 7:13-23 ~ These verses address general concerns related to deception and integrity: a wide gate that leads to destruction and a narrow one that leads down a difficult path toward life. I’m reminded of the title of Scot Peck’s book, The Road Less Traveled. It’s opening words are, “Life is difficult,” and he proceeds to discuss the human tendency to deny that truth. He addresses a general tendency for humans to belief life should be easy and fair, and they cry, “Foul!” when reality doesn’t match their expectations.

And there are those who will encourage their denial, preaching a gospel of prosperity and a simplistic (which is significantly different from a simple) Gospel that looks ominously like that wide gate mentioned above: “Just believe (say the magic words) and God will bless you with health, wealth and happiness, and you’ll live happily everafter.”

The real tragedy, I believe, is that many of these “wolves in sheep’s clothing” really believe their own tripe, which makes them even more dangerous. Self-deception may be the harshest tormentor of all.

Of course there is joy in the Lord and fulfillment in serving God! Of course! But the promise of the gospel—that narrow gate and road—is not that we will avoid problems, pain and tragedy; but, rather, that we will have the resources and power we need to overcome those things and, indeed, even to prosper! In retrospect, perhaps that was Jesus’ intent when he said, “Seek and ye shall find…” (Matthew 7:7ff).

And so, if I am to follow Jesus, I will receive life openly and honestly, confident that God already has given me the resources to live fully and effectively. My quest will be to find and activate with gratitude those resources within me.

Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)

And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment