Sunday, March 6, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey--Day 23



March 3, 2016 ~ Day 23
My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).
Matthew 7:24-28 ~ A very recent study at USC finds that religious people tend to be more racist than non-religious people.  I know: the study was about “religious” people in general; however, stereotypes stick. The Body of Christ is damaged further (and it’s an inside job!), and those who are “spiritual but not religious” have more rationalization to support their exodus from organized religion.
Again, it has been an inside job. For several generations the largest and most vocal Christian bodies preached a Gospel of salvation alone. People were getting saved right and left, but when they asked, “What’s next?” the church had no real response except, “Get more people saved.” In that era, “saved” eventually came to mean little more than fire insurance (the avoidance of hell.)
Apparently, the strategy worked. For the last 20 years survey after survey has revealed that upwards of 95% of the population of North America believes in God. But a sizeable portion of the church-oriented population wants to know: “But, are they saved?” Translation: “have they done the salvation thing the way my church does it? Have they jumped through the same hoops and recited the same magic words my church requires?” (which ends up sounding like “works righteousness” to me.)
Meanwhile, the largest and fastest growing spiritual population in North American (the spiritually yearning, institutionally disillusioned public), wants to know, “How do I follow Jesus?” They don’t want a theology of salvation; they want a savior. They don’t want an initiation ritual; they want a spirituality that makes a difference.
In answer to their quest, in today’s Scripture Jesus says, Everyone then who hears these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock.”
It’s not really all that complicated. Have you heard or read the words of Jesus? If not, let’s read them together. If so, then, let’s do what he says.
If I am to follow Jesus, I will not pile up prerequisite requirements for those who want to join the journey. The intention is not to make it more difficult.
Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)
And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).
That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.
Together in the Walk,
Jim



No comments:

Post a Comment