Sunday, March 6, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey--Day 25


March 5, 2016 ~ Day 25

My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? ‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

Matthew 8:18-22 ~ Harsh words, it would appear, coming from Jesus. He seems to discourage, even to reject, some who would follow him. “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.” Sarcastic, at least on the surface.

Part of it can be charged up to rabbinic tradition. Jesus was a rabbi, and rabbis had particular ways of teaching and discipling, which included riddle-like sayings designed simultaneously to enlighten and mystify.

On the other hand, the easy interpretation is that Jesus was weeding out would-be disciples whose commitment would not stand up to the demand. And the demands are high. The obvious application, at least in our current life situation, is to ask how much we are willing to give up to follow Jesus. Would we give up a comfortable evening in front of the television in order to make hospital calls with the pastor, or to set up for the following day’s distribution from the church food bank?

It’s possible, however, that the question was already beginning to circulate: “Is this the Messiah?” And some were wanting to get on the proverbial band wagon in order gain favor from the expected hero who would re-establish the Throne of David.  

It’s hard to escape a bottom line meaning, however, which Pastor Dietrich Bonhoeffer expressed in the title of his book, The Cost of Discipleship.  The cost is high, in spite of the marketing strategies of the “Prosperity Gospel.” Have I considered the cost? Am I willing to pay it? Or am I just along for the ride?

Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)

‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,

Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment