Friday, March 11, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey--Day 31


March 11, 2016 ~ Day 31

My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? ‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

Matthew 9:18-26 ~ The focus was on Jesus—on his miraculous touch. “Touch me daughter, and she will live.” “If I can touch the hem of his garment, I will be healed.”

But, in both cases, Jesus turned the focus back on the one who had been afflicted: “Your faith, has made you whole.” “She is not dead but asleep.”

In light of this insight (which I don’t recall noting prior to this reading), to what extent is it Jesus’ touch that does the healing, and to what extent does Jesus’ mere presence release within us what already is there?

I’m exploring new territory here (at least it’s new to me); but, I’ve always believed that being created in the image of God (Genesis 1:27) means that we have potential that has never been experienced in human life other than Jesus. Is it possible that part of what it means to be “in Christ” is to unleash increasing degrees of that potential?

What untapped potential lies within me? How can my following Jesus open me to accepting the gifts I have yet to discover?

Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)
‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,
Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment