Tuesday, March 15, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey--Day 32



March 12, 2016 ~ Day 32
My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? ‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).
Matthew 9:27-34 ~ Jesus heals two blind men and a demon-possessed man, and the people were amazed; but the Pharisees said, “It is by the prince of demons that he drives out demons.”
I am struck by how detractors virtually never give credit where credit is due. Political candidates and pundits and wannabees find the tiniest scrap of scandal and wave it like the national ensign if it implies the slightest discredit to their opponent. On the other hand, their candidate can do no wrong.
In the text, Jesus already has triggered the ire of the establishment with his message of “enemy love” and grace to all people, including Gentiles in general and Romans in particular.
They’d heard enough. They began with the assumption that they were right, and they no longer were listening, nor did they care what Jesus might say. He dared to challenge their passionate hatred of the Romans and nothing he would do for the remainder of his earthly life and ministry would be considered valid or good by the establishment.
Some things never change.
Within the last hour I read an article that brought into focus some things I’ve felt and thought for years, but had not clearly articulated. The article identifies Jesus’ message as “a message of transformation through service, sacrifice, and selfless love for our neighbors, enemies and selves. A message of humiliation and simplicity as the way of abundance and eternal life. Christians were never meant to be the ones in power. In fact, history shows us that anytime Christianity is given a position of power and influence, it quickly departs from the Gospel of Jesus—because a Christianity that is given worldly power is not Christianity at all. Christianity is the religion that proclaims a God who humbled himself and entered into creation, taking the form of a servant—who touched the untouchables and spoke sharp truth that exposed those in power. Christianity is a religion centered on the subversive power of love and sacrifice, not on the love of power and wealth.”[1]
"The foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength" (I Corinthians 1:25)
If I am to follow Jesus, it becomes clearer and clearer where that will lead.
Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)
‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).
That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.
Together in the Walk,
Jim



[1] Brandon Robertson, “To the Dying Church from a Millennial,” Sojourners, https://sojo.net/articles/letters-dying-church/dying-church-millennial. May 8, 2014. [NOTE: in the second sentence of the quote I would have said "humility" instead of humiliation. Humiliation was the result of Jesus' choice to be humble.]



No comments:

Post a Comment