Wednesday, March 16, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey--Day 33


March 13, 2016 ~ Day 33



My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? ‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).



Matthew 9:35-38 ~ “My house is full, but my field is empty.” So went the lyrics of one of our favorite songs when I sang with “The Disciples Quartet”. It was a paraphrase of this passage of Scripture. When Jesus made the comment, it was not, as it may seem, an indictment of the ineffectiveness of the leaders of his faith; nor even of their hypocrisy.


Indictment is the interpretation that has been preached for generations, but with counterproductive results. The call of Jesus is, “Follow me and I will make you to become…” The general tone of preaching this theme has been more or less browbeating: “You’re not doing enough! Shame on you!”


NOTE: Jesus made this statement to his disciples, not to the public, nor even to the leaders of his faith. It appears to me that it was not said in a tirade of browbeating, but rather as an observation of how extensive the needs are. He didn’t dump a guilt trip on them; indeed, he asked them to pray to the “Lord of the harvest” to send workers into his harvest.

To follow Jesus is to engage in a work that exceeds human resources. To be faithful to Jesus we will need help from the “Lord of the harvest;” and praying for that help apparently will be an ongoing part of following Jesus.


Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)
‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment