Saturday, February 27, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey--Day 15


February 24, 2016 ~ Day 15

My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

Matthew 6:16-21 ~ The conclusion about fasting matches the conclusions about almsgiving and prayer: do it in secret, and your Father in heaven, who sees in secret, will reward you. An abundantly recurring theme in Jesus’ teachings is the condemnation of doing things for human praise.

Jesus’ “Do not store up treasure on earth” saying wraps up the conversation about not doing things for show. And the conclusion is, “where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

My question is, “Which comes first: the treasure, or the heart?” Do we put our treasure where our priorities are; or does our treasure form or priorities? I remember a preacher once saying, “Show me your checkbook and I’ll tell you what your priorities are.” I’m not sure. I’ve generally taken Jesus’ statement to mean that our heart will follow the money; but, what if the “treasure” is not monetary?

Most human misbehavior can be traced at some level to an unfulfilled need for personal affirmation. When that need is not met, well… Some people will do anything for a little attention.  And much is being written and spoken about rearing a generation of “trophy kids”. I understand the need to tone down the excessive competitiveness, especially in regard to preadolescent children; but, the “trophy kid” generation is now entering the work force, and is forcing a complete reorientation of management and supervision models.

A poster that’s making the rounds on Facebook says, “Integrity is doing what’s right, even when no one is watching.” Do I trust Jesus’ promise that my Father in heaven will reward me? Do I trust it enough to not be disappointed if I don’t get a “Thank You” card for every good deed?

Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)

And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,

Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment