Monday, February 29, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey--Day 19


February 28, 2016 ~ Day 19

My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

Matthew 7:6 ~ “Do not give what is holy to dogs; and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under foot and turn and maul you.” This is a most troubling verse, made even more troubling by its position immediately following the passage condemning double standards.

In Rabbinic writings of the period, dogs and pigs were metaphors for gentiles; and at least once Jesus made such a reference (Matthew 15:21-28).

I’m going to go out on a limb here; so follow me carefully. It will be difficult for some of you. It’s not easy for me.

Jesus was called, “Rabbi,” and we may thus assume he was schooled in rabbinic tradition. We also acknowledge him as Christ, and Christians generally tag his baptism and wilderness temptation as the point at which he became fully aware of and accepted his calling as Messiah/Christ. There also is evidence throughout the New Testament that from the temptation in the wilderness to the final surrender in Gethsemane, he struggled to know how to embody the fusing of divinity and humanity that was his calling (and which I believe is the calling of all who choose to follow him).

All this will be difficult for many who are uncomfortable with any portrayal of weakness or uncertainty or struggle in Jesus. But the evidence is ample: “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every respect has been tested as we are, yet without sin” (Hebrews 4:15 NRSV). The “yet without sin” does not reduce the impact of the “testing”; rather, it magnifies the significance of his victory over sin.

Franky, unless Jesus struggled and questioned his calling, he offers no point of contact with which I can identify and follow; thus, he remains a gnostic apparition, and I have no idea how, as a human, I can relate to him. So I’ll accept his struggle and simply trust in that final phrase, “yet without sin,” as the evidence of his divinity.

So, here is where I’m going to stand until I see convincing evidence otherwise: Jesus continued throughout his ministry to grow into his identity as Christ, the Son of God. Early in his ministry he was rooted in rabbinic tradition and believed he was sent only to the Jews (Matthew 15:24, et. al.). Thus, his early references to gentiles as dogs and pigs. But he remained open to God’s revelation, and increasingly extended God’s grace (unconditional love) and restoration to all people.

I pray that I may remain even partially as open to God’s ongoing revelation in my own life and ministry.

Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)

And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment