Tuesday, March 29, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey--Day 39


March 19, 2016 ~ Day 39

My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? ‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

Matthew 12:21-37 ~ More controversies with the Pharisees—a standoff in which Jesus demonstrates some convincing logic, then follows up with one of the most difficult and mysterious sayings in the Gospels.

There are Pharisees connected with virtually every religion. They are the ones that have it all figured out and reduced to a mathematical formula: do this and don’t do that and you’ll “get it right.” Rules and rituals equal justification.

Jesus starts with a different premise; thus, his logic is different. Jesus doesn’t begin with rules, although he affirmed “the law and the prophets” (they’re not the same as rules and rituals). Jesus begins with a concept of righteousness that exceeds that of the Pharisees.

It’s interesting that in the original languages of both the Hebrew and Christians Scriptures, the same word is translated “justice” and “righteousness.” Based on their scriptural roots, those two words mean essentially the same; thus, a righteousness that exceeds that of the Pharisees is a righteousness based upon justice, rather than on rules and rituals. So said the prophets. So said Jesus.

In this passage, Jesus casts out a demon, but the Pharisees, who already have judged him because he won’t cow-tow to their rules and rituals, say he did it by the power of the prince of Demons.

Jesus response is incredulous: “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and no city or house divided against itself will stand. If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then will his kingdom stand? Then he asks, “By whose power do your exorcists cast out demons?”

What follows is that troubling saying about the “unpardonable sin.” Theories abound as to what Jesus intended by this saying; but, they all are speculation. The only qualification Jesus uses is that it is a sin “against the Holy Spirit”. What distinguishes a sin against the Holy Spirit from any other category of sin is left open. I will point out that Jesus did say that people will be forgiven for “every sin and blasphemy” except this one. Every sin and blasphemy.  

When in doubt, look at context: (2) the casting out of a demon and a subsequent encounter with Pharisees who confront him with poorly conceived, illogical accusations, (2) a discourse about a divided house not standing and (3) any who are not for me are against me. I suggest that the latter statement is tied to the previous discourse, implying that Jesus’ “house” is not divided.

Perhaps, then [and like virtually every other suggestion, this is speculation (but informed by my understanding of Scripture and of Jesus)], the “unpardonable sin” relates to division within the “house” of Jesus.

The conclusion of the passage seems crystal clear by comparison: “A tree is known by its fruit.” Jesus doesn’t explain this metaphor/parable, but, while I generally like to let a biblical writer speak for himself, I can’t help thinking immediately of the “Fruits of the Spirit” listed in Galatians: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. If I’m not confident about the sin against the Holy Spirit, I certainly am clear about what fruit I should bear.

Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)
‘And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,
Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment