Wednesday, March 2, 2016

My 2016 Lenten Journey--Day 21


March 1, 2016 ~ Day 21

My 2016 Lenten Journey: Exploring the Gospels to discover what following Jesus and becoming more like him would look like? And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

Matthew 7:12 ~ “In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.”

“The Golden Rule.” Without a doubt, this is one of the most familiar verses of Christian Scripture. It stands alone, and really needs no commentary. If followed, it would change the course of history.

You may already be aware that most of the world religions have a similar principle. Some of them existed before the time of Jesus, and he may well have been aware of them (or some of them).

But, did you know that Jesus’ version is the only one stated in a positive way? The other versions can be paraphrased, “Don’t do anything to anyone else you wouldn’t want him/her/them to do to you.” Do you sense the significance of the variation?

The ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead states three ethical stances: (1) I have harmed the widow, (2) I have not harmed the widow and (3) I have helped the widow.

The other world religions opt for #2 in their “golden rules”. The Pharisees of Jesus’ time wallowed in it; and Jesus called them hypocrites.

Micah 6:8 has become a key foundation of my faith: “What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with your God” (my quote from memory). “First do no harm,” may be a wonderful principle for medical science; but, if I am to follow Jesus, I will seek opportunities to be proactive in justice, mercy and humility. May I do so without coming across as arrogant.

Whoever has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9 NRSV)

And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32 NRSV).

That's the way it looks through the flawed glass that is my world view.

Together in the Walk,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment